Smartphones, E-literacy, E-governance. No I am not talking about Modi’s digital vision. But I am referring to the reality of a digitalized state whose vision arose much before Modi’s initiative. Kerala which is India’s only 100% literacy state, has become the first only Indian state to become digital. Only in 3 years Kerala govt. has archived this remarkable success. In 2012 Kerala govt. with the help and support of the entire department took initiative to transform the state into digital, for better and easy governance.
In the independence day speech by chief minister Omman Chandy, he officially announced this new feat. The 100% mobile density of which 75% are smartphones plus e- district programs which included linking of Adhaar cards with the banking facilities are the main reason of their historic achievement. Further, the state has planned to increase the digital facility by providing:
- WiFi Hotspots at all local self-Government institutions
- Implementation of mobile governance across the whole state
- Formation of at least one startup from every state university, which would be based on the ideas submitted by college students
- Optimal utilization of Central Govt.’s ‘Bharat Net’ project, which will spread Internet across each and every household, with an average speed of 2MBPS to 20 MBPS.
- The existing team of ‘Virtual IT Cadre’ will be expanded to include more team members. This team makes sure that all the Govt. initiatives of e-governance are properly implemented and handle sudden issues which may crop up.
- Teaching all Govt. employees about e-Governance via dedicated educational programs. As of now, around 75 Govt. officials have earned PG Diploma in E-Governance
Plus the govt. has started a program called “Dr. A.P.J.Abdul Kalam Youth Challenge” paying homage to late Dr. A. P.J.Abdul Kalam. Under this program, students will be encourage to study and develop science subjects and also use digital platform for innovation.
So if you thought that Kerala is only a holiday destination think again it is digital destination as well.