“An apple a day keeps the doctor away”; the said apples are no longer capable of fighting these kinds of diseases.
Swine flu also known as H1N1 flu is the transmission of the virus from pigs to human. People who are in the vicinity of pigs most of the time have more chances of getting infected with this flu. On the contrary people consuming pork shouldn’t worry at all, because swine flu doesn’t spread due to pork products.
This disease has shown a devastating effect on the people infected and has similar symptoms like that of influenza.
According to data collected by the Union Health Ministry, the death toll across the country rose to 1,895 and the total number of people affected rose up to 31,974.
In Gujarat alone, a total of 407 have died so far and the affected were 6,330 till last reports came.
The death toll in Rajasthan has reached 400 and the number of affected people rose up to 6,356.
The worst case till now with the most affected people and abrupt death is of 398 from the disease.
Delhi has seen 12 swine flu fatalities while the toll of affected persons has rose up to 4,131.
This disease is spreading like a fire, but if we rein in our habits and become a bit more careful and observant we can fight this menace.
Symptoms and Precautions
- Symptoms of swine flu are similar to most influenza infections such as, Fever (100F or greater)
- Cough, nasal secretions, fatigue and headache that are the commonly reported symptoms
- But few patients have undergone and experienced sore throat, rashes, body aches, nausea and vomiting.
- So, if any of these symptoms are seen it is advisable to consult a doctor ASAP. The following precautions should be taken otherwise:
- One should always cover up their mouth and nose with a tissue or a handkerchief while they sneeze or while in a crowded place.
- One should avoid touching his/her eyes and nose too often which can lead to infection by the H1N1 virus.
- Washing your hands often with soap water or alcohol-based hand rub (sanitizer).
- Avoiding contact with people affected with H1N1 flu.
- Patients suffering from the disease should stay indoors and take immediate medical help.
- People suffering with swine flu should at all circumstances wear a mask and cover their mouth and nose while sneezing and maintain thorough hand hygiene before touching any common objects around.
All these precautions will help reduce the spread of disease.
In order to prevent the disease, it’s important to keep your immunity levels high. Pregnant ladies, babies and small children and diabetic, asthma, cardiac patients should take extra care of themselves. They are the ones who have the highest risk of getting infected by H1N1.
One thing that could be done easily is to spread the news and bring awareness and let people know about this menace, so that they can be better prepared to fight the disease resulting in minimum casualties.